As promised, here are ten reasons why IBC’s reader who is suspicious of shorts in general should totally give them a shot.
1. Shorts have come a long way
Don’t fault an entire clothing category for the mistakes of the American frumpy!
2. They’re really the most comfortable non-skirt option for hot summers
3. They’re an excellent opportunity for unexpected aesthetic innovation
4. Fun colors!
5. If you do them well, no one will look as rad as you
6. They can dress up and dress down
7. They’re old timey like tennis!
8. All shoes work with them
9. They’re like pants, but more jaunty
10. They’re the only article of clothing that makes you want to frolic
Some doubts you may still have:
I’m too pale to wear shorts! Wrong.
It is physically impossible for you to be more pale than I am and I wear shorts all summer long. Photographer Kareem Worrell even uses me as a light reflector from time to time. “Oh no, Michael, I don’t want a picture of you, I want you to stand next to that thing and reflect the sunlight onto it.” True story.
I feel weird about my legs. Don’t.
Shorts are just like any other article of clothing– you find the ones that compliment the body you were born with. There’s an option for every body type and shape.
All I ever see are ugly shorts. So what.
Most people love to be lazy when it comes to dressing themselves. For too long shorts have fallen into the utilitarian category (e.g. it’s hot out, so people just throw on any pair of whatever thinking of them only as a way to be less hot). All you have to do is incorporate them as part of your personal style. So don’t buy boring khaki shorts, don’t just chop an old pair of jeans. Imagine you’re putting on a favorite skirt (if you wear those, which I don’t) or a pair of pants. Just put the same amount of thought into shorts that you do into anything else you like to wear.